Union Congregational History
The Union Congregational Church had its early beginnings in 1859. Taunton’s population was about 12,000 and its people were scattered throughout town, and in the north end, along the banks of the Mill River. Hopewell, Reed & Barton and Whittenton Mills provided work for the growing population. Despite the growth of the area, there was no place to worship except closer to the center of town. Charles L. Lovering, then a young man of twenty-six recognized this need and gathered friends and neighbors to form a Sunday School. This group was to become the nucleus of the Union Church.
As was the custom, people first met for worship in private homes and later in a room on the second floor at the Whittenton Mill. Worship meetings were held here until 1867 when they were moved to Lovering Hall located in a large building that stood on the curve of Whittenton Street facing Warren.
In January 1868, the Reverend Isaac Dunham preached for several Sundays. The people were so pleased they wanted to install him as Pastor. However, there was no formal church organization to facilitate this arrangement. On April 2, 1868 a Council of all the churches in the area convened to examine pastoral applicants. The people having agreed to accept the Articles of Faith and Covenant, the Council pronounced Union Church a “duly constituted Evangelical Christian Church.” Our church has been serving Christ in this community for 140 years! We welcome you today to celebrate a new chapter in our congregation’s life and ministry.